Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Save the Water!

One of the things I've had to adjust to with this living-in-town gig is having a water bill.  At the ranch, our water came from a well.  We didn't have meters to tell us how much we were using because the water was completely free.  (Well, not completely free, as the cost of a well can be quite dear, but that's usually just a one time fee.)  Something I certainly took for granted.  When we got our water bill a couple weeks ago, it was over $160.00!  This has been a really good lesson though, it's taught me to be more mindful and really cut back on my water usage in general.  I've learned that the yard and garden can survive on one watering every 3-4 days, as opposed to every other day like I was doing before.  I am also a bit sad to realize that I was being extremely wasteful with the water at the ranch compared to now.  I would often turn the sprinkler on and forget about it.  Even though there was no water bill, I realize now that you still have to watch your usage because wells don't last forever.  Eventually they run dry, and not being careful with water can only make that happen faster.  This is something I will certainly remember when we move back to the country in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment