Pages

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

First Attempts

My first dumplings.  Check out that hip trivet.
Until last night, I have never, ever had dumplings.  I've always wondered what they tasted like, so after seeing a recipe in magazine recently I decided to make and try some for the first time.  I didn't like the particular recipe for the soup part of this dish (way too much parsley, sage and thyme,) so I would definitely try another next time.  My initial impression of the dumplings was, "hmm, tastes like a big lump of dough."

Yeah, I don't know if it was just this recipe or what, but I wasn't too impressed.  When (and if) I try dumplings again, hopefully the recipe will be good enough to share, but not this time.

In other news, Lee finally put in an order for some more bee keeping equipment.  I can't wait until it arrives!!!  We will be receiving our honey super (finally!), queen excluder (a must have to keep those little bee larvae from getting into the honey we want to steal,) and a hive tool (to pry off the hive lid which has been glued with propolis.)  And dang it, why does my spell check keep telling me that propolis is spelled wrong?  Isn't it in the Mac dictionary?  Rrr.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, dumplings are just basically fried dough...kinda boring. Everybody always tells me how good "hush puppies" (basically fried dough again) are, and I'm like, "Ew, why would I eat that?" Fried food can be great, don't get me wrong, but eating something completely devoid of any form of nutrition is kind of a turn-off for me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever had matzoh ball soup? Essentially dumplings, but depending on how you do it, they can be light as a cloud and quite tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Meg: Actually, there was nothing fried about them, they were boiled. I'm not sure if this is how all dumplings are cooked, but I probably wouldn't have tried them if the recipe called for frying.
    @Marc: Never had matzoh ball soup either, something for a future blog post experiment. :)

    ReplyDelete