Pages

Monday, August 9, 2010

Playing Catch Up

Drilling is done!
I did get the drilling done for the chicken coop cottage last Thursday evening, but that's about as far as I got. This weekend I had a visit from my mom and nephew Issac, and we all had one big yard sale at my house.

In between sign hanging and price haggling, we managed to sneak in a trip to the hardware store and I began to contemplate some different ideas for the chicken coop. Sure, we could buy some plywood and paneling to make it look like the one I saw at Fairytale Town without a lot of cost, but I'd much rather try and find other materials to recycle. I also like the idea of a living roof or green roof.


Welcome to Mandy Mia's Pizzeria!
While mom & Issac were here I decided to treat them to my homemade pizza. I asked how it stood up to her local take-n-bake, and mom said mine was much better, and believe me my mom never lies to flatter. Here's the easy recipe:

2.5 cups flour - whole wheat works
1 package quick rise yeast
2.5 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1 cup warm water (115F-125F)
2 tbsp olive oil

1. Combine flour, yeast, salt, sugar.  Using wooden spoon, stir until mixed.
2. Add water and oil.  Stir until rough dough forms.  Dust rolling surface with four.
3. Knead dough until no longer sticky.  Gather into ball.
4. Grease bowl with olive oil.  Place dough in bowl.  Cover and allow to rise in warm spot 45 minutes.
5. Flatten dough, roll out with rolling pin.
6. Top with your choice of sauce, cheese and toppings.
7. Bake at 425F for 20 minutes.  For crispier crust, slide off pan and allow to bake on the rack for another 5 minutes or so.
8. Enjoy!

Lee's "new" pedal go-cart.
The yard sale was a success by the way! My mom came with a truckload and left only with the tables we used to display all of our goods. Lee and I cleaned out the garage once and for all, and none of the leftover junk went back into it!  Altogether we made almost $200, which wasn't bad considering that most things were priced at .25 just to get rid of the stuff. As we were boxing up the leftovers, we were lucky enough to have a kind lady come by and refer us to a place where we could donate them, just down the street. It was nice to know that our donation would be distributed to people in need in the community (and we didn't have to worry about storing more junk or driving it to a thrift store in the next town.) The funny thing about family yard sales though, is that you end up buying each other's stuff which almost defeats the purpose of clearing things out. Lee couldn't pass up the pedal go-cart my mom was selling for $30 (those things go for a couple hundred bucks at TSC.) I might end up using it more than the kids, it's a lot of fun!

Today I am still recovering from all that excitement.  We had just so happened to plan the yard sale on the weekend that our town was having it's annual "cotton festival," and my nephew just had to go to the carnival on Saturday evening, so I was going nonstop from 6 am until 10 pm.  I got a lot of trees and shrubs pruned while my mom was over in between droves of yard sale goers on Sunday, and this morning I did a bit more in the back yard. By noon, I was ready to collapse.  Thank goodness for epsom salts and long soaks in the tub.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried a pizza stone? It makes a big difference, in my opinion, and adds greatly to the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @April: Haven't tried a pizza stone, but have heard good things about them. One of my future backyard projects is going to be an outdoor cob pizza oven though.

    ReplyDelete