Pages

Friday, September 24, 2010

Book Reviews

Finished some books, acquired a new stack, and have even more waiting for me to pick up at the library right now.

Finished Books:
Homemade Contrivances and How to Make Them: 1001 Labor-Saving Devices for Farm, Garden, Dairy, and Workshop was an interesting step back in time! This is a reprint of the original. Though my backyard plot isn't in need of a lot of the things in this book, it was a really fun book to browse over! If I have a bigger farm of my own in the future, I'll definitely add this book to my collection. It's nice to know that this information hasn't been lost. ****
The Urban Homestead (Expanded & Revised Edition): Your Guide to Self-Sufficient Living in the Heart of the City (Process Self-reliance Series) is a must read for anyone who wants to get back to basics. It's a great starter reference for farmers in town. There are ideas for everyone, whether you have a yard or just an apartment balcony. A wide array of topics are covered, from gardening & canning to keeping chickens. I appreciate the writing style, which is really down to earth and down right funny at times. I read the older edition because that's all the library had, so I am not sure what new information is included in the newer edition. *****
Don't Throw It Out: Recycle, Renew and Reuse to Make Things Last had so much information that I didn't finish it word for word. It's one of those books that you just want to have around to digest little by little. It's jam-packed full of really cool ideas to help things last longer, ways to recycle things that you would have never considered before (I was happy to read ways to recycle bike inner tubes, which I had saved thinking that they might come in handy), and lots of money saving tips. Used copies are going cheap online right now, so I may add one to my collection. ****
The Dirt-Cheap Green Thumb: 400 Thrifty Tips for Saving Money, Time, and Resources as You Garden is another one of those books that are nice to have on hand and read a bit at a time rather than page to page. Lots of great tips, but many were things that I had already known. ***
Don't Throw It, Grow It!: 68 windowsill plants from kitchen scraps was a really fun book, but again, another one that you'd want to keep rather than check out because there are so many little projects you want to try that you'll never be able to cover them all in one library loan period. I would like to try out all of the growing projects with Lee's kids. I was also surprised at how many ordinary kitchen items you can grow! *****
The Honey Trail: In Pursuit of Liquid Gold and Vanishing Bees is a fantastic adventure! Not only is this book full of interesting little insights on bees and honey, but all of that information is woven beautifully into a story of a women's travels around the world. ****
The Handmade Marketplace: How to Sell Your Crafts Locally, Globally, and On-Line is an indispensable resource for crafters. The illustrations were done by one of my favorite illustrators, Emily Martin (The Black Apple). *****

No comments:

Post a Comment