Pages

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Still Eating Squash

As long as I keep finding new ways to cook the mountain of squash we've harvested, we'll keep eating it! Yesterday evening I made Chocolate Chip Zucchini bars, and after having squash once a day at least for the last couple of weeks I was feeling a little ambivalent. I didn't even sample it when it first came out of the oven. It just sat on the cooling rack all through dinner, and thereafter while we watched a film. Halfway though the film, Lee hits pause and says with a big grin, "can we have the dessert now?" I kinda mumbled, "yeah, I guess so." He shot up like a rocket and made his way into the kitchen. Darn sugar fiend.  I thought that I was bad, but he'll eat anything with sugar and/or chocolate in it. I should keep this in mind when serving him the leftovers that he is tired of. From now on, I'll just pour sugar and chocolate on everything. (Maybe someday I'll get brave enough to try his family's chocolate gravy, which they typically serve at breakfast over country fried potatoes, and possibly share the recipe if it's good. Honestly though, I haven't yet mustered the courage. Chocolate at breakfast, let alone on potatoes just seems wrong to me?)
Yum! Chocolate Chip Zuchini Bars.

Anyway, I cut a couple of bars and sat them on a plate, only cutting myself a half-bar. We sat down and started the film. I took a tiny bite, getting ready to cringe, but to my surprise it was really delicious! It was still a little warm and the chocolate chips were soft. I even have to admit that it could have stood for a little extra squash. So, squash is still on the menu!  Here's the recipe, and don't be stubborn like me, try it when it's at it's best- still warm and fresh out of the oven.

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
6 tbsp canola oil
1 egg beaten
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted*

1. Preheat oven 350F.  Grease 13x9 inch pan.
2. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
3. Beat brown sugar and oil in large bowl at medium speed until smooth. Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla; beat until creamy.
4. Stir in dry ingredients. Stir in zucchini. Stir in chocolate chips. Stir in oats. Stir in walnuts.
5. Spread in pan.
6. Bake 25-30 minutes, when top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched.
7. Cool in pan on rack.

*Toast walnuts by spreading on baking sheet and baking at 350F for 6-8 minutes.  Cool.

If you want to get fancy, melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and drizzle over the bars.  Allow chocolate to cool and set.

2 comments:

  1. These look really yummy, I'll give them a try soon. Chocolate gravy is a long standing family recipe, love it poured over homemade biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's s Southern thing apparently from what I've seen online. Lee's father's branch of the family is from Oklahoma. Over biscuits sounds better than country fried potatoes! Lee likes it on pancakes and waffles too.

    ReplyDelete