|Yum! Chocolate Chip Zuchini Bars.|
Anyway, I cut a couple of bars and sat them on a plate, only cutting myself a half-bar. We sat down and started the film. I took a tiny bite, getting ready to cringe, but to my surprise it was really delicious! It was still a little warm and the chocolate chips were soft. I even have to admit that it could have stood for a little extra squash. So, squash is still on the menu! Here's the recipe, and don't be stubborn like me, try it when it's at it's best- still warm and fresh out of the oven.
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bars
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
6 tbsp canola oil
1 egg beaten
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted*
1. Preheat oven 350F. Grease 13x9 inch pan.
2. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
3. Beat brown sugar and oil in large bowl at medium speed until smooth. Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla; beat until creamy.
4. Stir in dry ingredients. Stir in zucchini. Stir in chocolate chips. Stir in oats. Stir in walnuts.
5. Spread in pan.
6. Bake 25-30 minutes, when top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched.
7. Cool in pan on rack.
*Toast walnuts by spreading on baking sheet and baking at 350F for 6-8 minutes. Cool.
If you want to get fancy, melt 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and drizzle over the bars. Allow chocolate to cool and set.