Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Busy Like the Bees

If you've been reading this blog for a while, I am sure you thought that it had come to an end. Not true! I just can't believe how fast time moves as the years go by. I miss one day of writing and the next thing I know a whole month's gone by! Usually January is such a blah, boring month with nothing to do. Well, not this year. That whole vegan resolution thing has kept us quite busy. It's been great though. Lee and I cook together now rather than me doing all the cooking while he sits at the computer right after work. We chat and chop, and it's helped our relationship grow in a nice new way. While he was working on the movie, it was almost like he wasn't here in the evenings. That movie was stressful in more ways than one, but it's those little obstacles that really put your relationship to the test at times, and it's nice to see how well we bounce back.

Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan CookbookSo we haven't been puritan vegans, but we have made tremendous leaps and bounds, especially Lee. He still likes his pizza with cheese, but we did try an absolutely delightful cheese-free enchilada recipe and are now big believers in the theory that food can taste great without cheese. Admittedly, I was skeptical that enchiladas would be any good without the cheese, but man-oh-man! You've got to try it to believe it! Hunt down a copy of Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook at your local library or score a used copy somewhere cheap online and try the Potato and Kale Enchiladas with Roasted Chile Sauce!

Some really cool side effects of this vegan diet is that we are actually eating a lot more of the vegetables that we should have been eating before we starting cooking this way, like kale and chard and other dark leafy greens. We always thought they looked good before, but never knew what to do with them.

Aside from all of the cookbook studying, purging my studio and the overspill of art and craft supplies in the garage kept me quite busy as well. I am still selling small batches on eBay, but have made almost a grand in clearing out the supplies I just don't have the room for any longer. I gave myself the month of January to get the house back in order (it was full of boxes), which I did, but it's once again back to being a bit disorganized as I pulled more boxes out of the garage to go through. I'm on a roll with the eBay sales, so I may as well keep purging.

Since the last post, a few other things have happened as well. I found 3 Jersey Wooly bunnies via Craigslist that were in our local area. It was total luck not to have to drive over an hour to find them, they aren't an easy rabbit to find around here! I have two males that are gray- one is a sable point with pinkish eyes, the other has blue eyes, and the female is white with blue eyes. We still haven't named them yet.

Also, a couple of weeks ago I ordered a pound of red wrigglers on eBay, and now our wiggley ranch worm bin is all set up. That was another thing (like the beehive) that I had sitting around as furniture in my old house at the La Grange ranch for years and never started up. We also discovered last week when raking out the garden boxes, that we have red wrigglers all over in our garden. After slapping our foreheads, we justified our purchase by convincing ourselves that it would have taken days to collect a pound of red wrigglers for our box.

Superbowl weekend, Lee tried to butter me up (for being absent  from gardening on Superbowl sunday to spend the day watching the game with his dad) by getting me a cherry tree, a thornless blackberry, a blueberry, a grape vine, and some strawberry starts. I let it him slide this time.

The gardening gods must have been listening to our prayers (or more like curses and shouts from pulling up weeds and walking through mud) because we scored on several bags of free mulch (from an almond orchard that had been pulled up and shredded) and a couple truck loads of free patio bricks- which we really wanted for the side of the house under the old oak where nothing grows except mud in the rainy season. Connections in the country are a good thing indeed.

I am a sucker for half dead plants too, and when we were last at Lowe's to pick up some hardware items, I couldn't pass up two half gallon sized withered Snapdragons for a dollar each, which I am proud so say are now flourishing beautifully in the front beds.

So, stay tuned! Lots of news to come as I continue to get ready for Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment