Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Stovetop Soap Results

Last night before I went to bed, I checked on the soap, which had solidified into a rubbery circle in the pan. I added water and stirred. Then stirred some more. Finally it obtained a slime-like consistency. After that, I decided to leave it alone and go to sleep.
This morning, I still had a pot of thick slime, so I added three more cups of water and heated it up again.

After allowing it to sit for a few hours post boiling, it was at a honey-like consistency, to put it nicely. Otherwise, it was kind of like a big pot of snot, thanks to the color. It seemed like I had to keep stirring and re-stirring to keep it at a normal consistency, but when left alone it would separate from the water and return to a thick chunk of slime.

Ready to throw in the towel, I tested it out with a pump and it didn't seem to clog the pump at all even though it was slightly clumpy. Basically I gave up trying to get a perfect consistency like store-bought liquid hand soaps. I didn't seem possible, at least with this brand of soap that I found at Big Lots. It was made from 100% vegetable oils & no animal fat. Different soaps will do different things though, so if you try this you may very well have different results. A clear glycerine soap might work at lot better? I added a little colorant so that it didn't look so much like, ugh, well... snot. Even though it's not the most attractive liquid soap, it does seem to work okay but I don't think my soap experiments have come to an end just yet.

4 comments:

  1. I think it will stay slimy as long as it's not exposed to air :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It did stay slimey, but in a kind of gross way. I feel like offering my soap dispenser a tissue every time I use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found you through BlogFrog and this post caught my eye. My husband and I keep bees and we have been experimenting with making soaps and lotions from the wax we get. If you're interested in some recipes, I could hook you up.

    Also, a lady I know blogs over at Heavenly Homemakers. She recently made some liquid soap and wrote a post about it. It seems pretty straightforward and she and her family like it.

    Here is the link: http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/homemade-non-toxic-liquid-hand-soap-2

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elizabeth, welcome! Nice to meet another beekeeper! I would totally love a hookup because how to harvest the wax so far is a mystery to me.

    Thanks so much for the heads-up about the soap making link, I'll try out that recipe next time. Using the handmixer is a great idea, as her soap looks a lot less curdley than mine.

    ReplyDelete