Pages

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Stovetop Soap

Few items needed. Mess potential: minimal.
For a while I was using Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Liquid Hand Soap, Basil  because I absolutely adored the scent. That is, until I realized it wasn't Winter weather that was drying out the skin on my hands so badly. My suspicions were confirmed after reading three other consumer reviews by people who had experienced the same problem with this soap. Bummed out, I replaced it with bar soap, and my hands went back to normal. (I reused the leftover handsoap to make a spray cleaner, since the stuff was obviously so tough.) Though, eventually the icky, sticky mess of bar soap on the sink counter was not pleasant or convenient, and because I didn't want to buy anything that had a lot of weird chemicals in it, I decided to try a homemade recipe. 

Now, I've made soap from scratch in years past with success, but I have to admit that handling lye freaks me out and isn't something I care to do on a whim. So when I was desperately looking for a liquid soap recipe, I decided to go the easy way out with a mix and pour type of project. You know, something really simple and nothing that would create a huge mess or burn my eyes out if accidentally splashed into my face. I found a recipe for liquid castile handsoap that was easy to make, and luckily I had everything on hand for it. Unfortunately it still dried out my skin. On the same webpage though, there was another recipe for making liquid handsoap from a bar (which I avoided the first time around because it required boiling and I didn't want to wait for my soap.) Today I made a batch. It has to sit overnight, so I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Totally interested in this... can't wait to hear how it turned out! I'm a big LYE chicken too. I've made laundry soap from bar soap, washing soda and borax, and I've melted soap shards into bigger bars.... but never made soap from scratch. *someday* it will happen. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina! Yeah, I am just hoping I don't end up with jello-soap, something in between liquid and solid, too thick to move through the soap pump, and too squishy to sit in a soap dish. Ack.

    BTW, I can totally relate to the post I read on your blog yesterday about being a jack of all trades. You have company, because that's *so* me. A master soap maker would have been cool, but I only got to 'jack' level at that too. I have way too many interests and things I wanna try. I fondly refer to it as Creative ADD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes... creative ADD sounds much better than only getting to the Jack level for things. hahaha

    ReplyDelete